Saturday 26 April 2014

Tribal nails and purple ombre


 Hi everyone!

Today I have some tribal nail art for you on top of a (unfortunately very subtle) purple ombre.
The ombre is a bit more noticable in real life and in some of my pictures, like here:


Can you spot it?

For these nails I worked with acrylic paint - I used white paint to draw the tribal designs.
I made the ombre with polish: I used two Guylond polishes which are nameless, but came in an "ombre" pack with other purple and pink colours.


I used a sponge to make the ombre and I'm suuuper proud of how it turned out - there are no lines where the colours don't overlap properly, but it's super smooth and the colours just blend so nicely. Unfortunately I couldn't take pictures of it before I added the tribal design, so you'll just have to believe me on this. And: if I can make a good ombre once, I can make it again right?! Next time I'll try to take pictures of it first before covering it up with something.


I made the design myself - well, I googled pictures of tribal patterns and saw that some shapes occured very often so I used those shapes to make my own pattern. I quite proud of how it turned out - and it was also super easy to paint with the acrylic paint. I'm most proud of the design on my pointer finger and ring finger, I really like the three triangles I made :)

And you also get an awkward picture where my thumb is included:



My lines aren't always super straight (check out my middle finger!) so there's a lot of room for improvement, but I do like this already!

Can you spot the ombre? And which pattern do you like best?

Thanks for reading! :)

30 comments:

swishie said...

They look amazing

Ela said...

Pinky! Pinky's the best:)
I like it! it's perfect for me and gradient's great as well!:)
Have a great weekend, Robin:)

The Sequined Nail said...

These are amazing! The ombre is flawless and the tribal part is so detailed! I think my favourite nails are your little finger and middle finger!

Unknown said...

Very beautiful! I really like this subtle ombre. because you can't see it on first sight! My first thought was: Is this ombre or not, if not, than it must be a very beautiful color shifting polish. but when I read that you made it ombre, I liked it much more (is this understandable?) I also like the combo - ombre and tribal. I never did tribal patterns before, because I'm afraid to get it even.
Would you recommend acrylic paint to do it, or do you it will work with nail polish too?

Unknown said...

Oh, I forgot: I can't decide which pattern I like most, because they are all beautiful and unique and I also like that the ombre is more visible on some nails than on others, like f.e. on your pinkie compared to the other nails (or is this just an optical illusion...)

Pound Store Manicure said...

I love these nails! The colours you used are really nice.

Robin said...

Thank you! :)

Robin said...

Haha you are very enthousiastic about the pinky! Thank you so much Ela, have a great weekend yourself! :)

Robin said...

Thank you! I am super proud of my ombre - I'm beginning to wonder why I covered it up with a design haha :)

Robin said...

Thank you! I'm really into purple at the moment :)

Robin said...

Hehe I understand you, thank you! Stupid of me not to take pictures of my ombre before covering it up though :/
I think it will work with polish too, but it might be harder to make an intricate design with polish. I found it's just easier to work with acrylic paint because it doesn't get thick and gloopy, plus if you make a mistake you can just wipe it off with water without damaging the polish underneath! I just bought a really cheap pack of acrylic colours, so you don't have to spend a lot of money on it if you're thinking of buying some :)

Robin said...

Haha thanks a lot Franziska! You're so kind :) It might be an optical illusion on my pinkie - I mean, I didn't intend the ombre to be more noticable there, but it could be that there's a bit more light purple on that nail than on the rest :)

Unknown said...

Your lines are pretty straight :) And beautiful mani as always <3

Robin said...

Aww thank you! I still think they're a bit wonky but maybe I'm being too hard on myself! :)

Unknown said...

girl, you arr definitely too hard to yourself! ;-) your lines are super! :-D

Robin said...

Hehe honestly Franziska you are too nice! Fine, from now on I'll accept that my lines are perfect! :D

Unknown said...

oh god, just saw my typing error! i sound like a pirate! *lol* :-D

Robin said...

Hahaha perfect!

Tanja Jojic said...

Purple is one of my favorite colors, and this combination is soooo pretty. Great job! =^.^=

Robin said...

Thank you! I'm really in a purple polish mood at the moment haha :)

NailsLikeLace said...

These are really pretty!

Lucy (the Nail Snail) said...

These look gorgeous -- I love the ombre base! Your lines look pretty much perfect to me!!

Manases Andrea said...

I really love this design. I can spot the ombre, even if it subtle, it is visible and the tribal design is perfect!

Robin said...

Thank you Amber! :)

Robin said...

Aww thank you Lucy! Everyone's been saying my lines look great so I'll just go ahead and believe it myself ;)

Robin said...

Thank you Andrea! I'm glad the ombre is visible! :D

Unknown said...

Beautiful ombre! I love the design you created too - It all works perfectly together!
I think my favourite nail would have to be the pointer (But they're all great haha!)

Robin said...

Thank you so much! I'm a big fan of the pointer as well :D

Emily Nailsxo said...

I can see the ombre, it looks fab! I've been meaning to try a tribal design myself recently, you have definitely inspired me this look great! I like the index finger best. I'm not sure why but it reminds me of a castle, with the sun rising above it, can you see it or is that just me :p? x

Robin said...

Aww thank you so much! I'm so glad I was able to inspire you a bit :) Hehe now that you mention it, I can actually also see a castle in it! I'm looking forward to seeing your tribal nails someday soon!

Post a Comment